Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Korea/May 2010

disclaimer: please excuse all grammatical and spelling errors! If they bother you, read something else! :-)

Ok, so as promised here are some pictures from Jared's and my travels in Korea.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post Jared and I stayed in Seoul for a couple of days to get in some sightseeing. We tried the Panmunjeom tour, only to fail because of those pesky North Koreans and we had dinner in the Seoul tower.


This is a picture of the tank traps the S.Koreans would use along the highway in the case that the N. Koreans push south. These are just 2 of the many variations of these types of obstacles including cement "bridges" that aren't really bridges and would explode and land on whatever was underneath!



These are pictures of Jared and I at dinner in the Seoul tower. It was beautiful and dinner was amazing!

After we left Kunsan we flew (with the rest of the high school aged population of South Korea) to JeJu island...the land of love! We spent our entire first day relaxing near the beach in front of our hotel. Here is a picture of what we looked up at while we were sitting on a nice bench...



We talked, read, discussed all that lay ahead of us. It was wonderful to have that kind of time with Jared. Talking face to face is so much easier than through a computer or phone from such a long distance. Anyway, that night we wondered over to the hotel next door to us, The Shila, who has an event every night starting at 7:30 pm called the World Winery Tour. You could purchase a ticket and explore their beautiful gardens while trying wine (from all over the world, how appropriate!). So, we bought a ticket for Jared.


Along the way, Jared (who is very good at making friends), made a friend! Oh excuse me, he was working on "international relations" is what I think he called it. Anyway, this international relations assignment was named Ben! See below, he is the one trying to jump on Jareds back!


Ben and Jared were funny. Ben ended up escorting us from station to station and Jared insisted that Ben join in the drinks (I guess so that Jared didn't have to drink alone!). I don't remember everything they talked about in the following hour and a half talking and drinking wine. I had a hard time translating Ben's accent and Jared was tasting to his hearts desire with Ben's heavy hand pouring bigger and bigger "tasting" glasses! Either way, when it was all said and done I enjoyed my time with Jared.

The next fews days consisted of more sleeping in, relaxing, lounging (in all my pregnant glory) by the pool and exploring the island. We visited a couple of different waterfalls and another tiny island that we ended up taking a leisurely stroll around and in 30 min had walked completely around the perimeter of the island! We also visited a "statue theme-park" and a "mysterious road." In the middle of all of this, Jared and I were right in the middle of preparations for the Trilateral Summit Meeting between China, South Korea and Japan to discuss what should be done about the black sheep of the family, if you will, North Korea. There were flags and police/swat all over the island! I don't think I would be far off saying there was at least one law enforcement officer for every flag that flew on the island!

These flags were flying in front of the JeJu convention center and this isn't even 1/10 of the number of the flags flying around the area. Inside the convention center we could see them setting up the meeting halls with the triangle tables for their discussions and there were lots of important looking people in black suits walking through the gardens outside the convention center with journalists following. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in those meetings!

Moving on, below are some more pictures of the places I mentioned above. Everywhere we went there were high school aged kids walking around shouting out their greetings to Jared and I. Not going to lie...we kind of felt like rock stars! One girl even asked to take a picture with Jared, gave him two thumbs up and said "handsome!" I know, I know...14 year old girls...I won the hot husband lottery. You don't have to tell me twice. Wait...they did. At the airport a very enthusiastic group of girls told me how handsome Jared was and how much they love his legs! They also asked me where I was from so I told them "Texas" and they said "Like the movies?" Yes, absolutely!

This picture is of a bridge Jared and I DARED to walk over. It was actually an absolutely beautiful view from the top. Might have been a bit too windy on top for some peoples liking but it was still a sight to see!

This is the trail Jared and I walked around the tiny island. It was an easy walk but walking hand in hand with Jared makes any "mountain" easy to get through.

Behind me is the "mysterious road" as indicated on all the road signs. It is the kind of road that appears to be going up hill so you put your car in neutral and wait to roll backwards but end up rolling forward! Woah...that's mysterious!

This is the only appropriate picture from our time at the "statue theme-park"...aka...love park! There were dirty and inappropriate statues all over the park. Made me blush! ;-)

This last picture is of the bridge that Jared and I had to cross to get to our tiny island that we hiked around. Notice the Jacks shaped cement barriers under the bridge. They were all shaped like this all over the island. Just something interesting of note.

These last 2 pictures are...obviously...the 2 waterfalls we visited. There were about 3.5 million stair steps involved with getting to and from each of them (which is not so easy for a beluga like me but...allhora). They were worth the walk and I hadn't gotten my workout in that day yet so it "worked out!" (every bit of pun is intended there!)

One last item...I am now at 27 1/2 weeks pregnant. Here is a current picture of my bigness.

2 comments:

The Roberson's said...

The picture of you two with the wine glasses is an amazing picture:)

Nathan and Stephanie Hissa said...

I have to agree with Randa, the picture with the wine glasses is classic. I am so glad you got to spend some much needed quality with Jared. I know you miss each other. Just remember that little baby girl is a creation of your love and it is that that will get through the times you are apart :) Love and miss you!

P.S. I think you look beautiful...bigness and all!

Post a Comment